Contract Catering / Venue & In-House Restaurants / Large Event Catering
As an important aspect to our daily operations, Scarlett House Catering operates in a responsible and sustainable manner. We are committed to running our operations in line with the expectations of our clients, employees and guests.
We at Scarlett House Catering commit ourselves to our client’s existing waste reduction programs, and environmental policies. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Sustain is our corporate mantra. We ensure the activities, and practices of our employee’s support sustainability for us and the generations that will follow.
We look forward to suggesting ongoing systems to help reduce waste. As part of Scarlett House Catering’s environmental responsibility, we strive to use biodegradable products such as utensils, plates, napkins, and wherever possible.
As a company of the culinary industry, Scarlett House Catering can be an important engine for the development of socially and environmentally responsible products and services. Whether it be our packaging, purchasing or food preparation processes, every decision made uses the below principles that are required to be followed.
- Using local, seasonally available ingredients, as standard where possible, to minimize energy used in food production, transport or storage.
- Specifying food from farming systems that minimize harm to the environment, such as certified organic produce, where possible.
- Limiting foods of animal origin (meat, dairy products and eggs) and promoting meals rich in fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and nuts. As livestock farming is one of the most significant contributors to climate change. Ensuring the meat, dairy products and eggs are produced to high environmental and animal welfare standards where possible.
- Excluding fish species identified as most ‘at risk’ by the Marine Conservation Society.
- Choosing fair trade certified product where possible for food and drink, imported by poorer countries, to ensure a fair deal for disadvantaged producers.
- Promoting health and well-being by offering generous portions of vegetables, fruit and starchy staples like wholegrains, while cutting down on salt, fats/oils and cutting out artificial additives.
- Using Sustainable Practices in our food purchases and creation, is not the only step Scarlett House Catering is taking. We are challenging ourselves by setting long term goals to improve energy, waste and water efficiency by the end of 2019. We are doing this by ensuring that:
All restaurants we operate are working with energy efficient equipment
- Our catering services use 25% LEED certified materials
- We reduce our main commissary’s energy use by 15%
- We work with suppliers to purchase local and fair-trade products
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scarlett House Catering operates in a responsible and sustainable manner as an important aspect to our everyday operations. We are committed to running our operation in line with the expectations of our clients, employees, and customers.
- Continuous improvement in our Social Responsibility strategy
- Encouraging our business partners to strive for matching performance
- Acting in a socially responsible way
- Continuously improving our performance and meeting all relevant legislation
- Encouraging our staff to be mindful of the effect of their actions on any natural resource
PURPOSE AND AIM
The purpose of this policy is to make clear to all stakeholders what we mean by Social Responsibility Policy and how we propose to work towards achieving it. This policy applies throughout all the Procurement Service and governs our approach to all our activities.
In Implementing this policy, we aim to:
- Be responsible
- Be an exemplar of good practice
STANDARDS OF BUSINESS CONDUCT
- We recognize that good Social Responsibility embraces all aspects of sustainable development and the way we affect people through our business operations.
- We will assess which social issues are of most relevant to the contact and decide at what stage in the procurement lifecycle this social policy could most effectively and legally be included.
- We shall operate in a way that safeguards against unfair business practices.
- We believe that a responsible approach to developing relationships between companies and the communities they serve, global or local, is a vital part of delivering business success.
- When carrying out our business, in consultation with our customers, we will determine the environment, social and economic issues.
- We are committed to ensuring our business is conducted in all respects accordingly to rigorous ethical, professional and legal standards.
- We ensure that clients have the confidence in the decision-making and management process of the procurement service, by the conduct and professionalism of all staff. We do this by continually training and developing our staff.
- All groups and individuals with whom we have a business relationship will be treated in a fair, open and respectful manner.
- Feedback on performance will be actively sought, and we will continually review all activities to ensure best practice is always observed.
- We will allow our customers and vendors to give feedback on our performance and ensure that all customer comments are analyzed, responded to and, where appropriate, acted upon.
- Our objective is to reduce our impact on the environment through to continuous improvement.
- We will continue to work with our vendors to reduce their impact on the environment.
- With the main goods we use, we will continue to assess their production, usage and disposal.
- Our customers will be informed of the key issues involved in the procurement process, so they can make informed purchases to reduce their impact on the environment.
EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
- We aim to eliminate discrimination on any grounds and promote equality of opportunity in the supply chain.
- We will ensure that our customers and vendors are able to work together in confidence and be treated with respect by each party.
- Our range of contracts will consider the needs of a diverse customer base.
- A Sustainable Procurement Policy will be maintained that will set out the principles, policies and procedures on which sustainable business activity within the company will be based.
- The policy will act as a prompt to staff to consider sustainability as a factor in all purchasing decisions.
- We seek to minimize the adverse environmental effects of people travelling to and from our offices.
IMPACT ON SOCIETY
- We will take steps to understand how we can most effectively support the needs of the local community and work accordingly.
- Our impact on the local and wider community will be understood and nurtured.
ETHICS AND ETHICAL TRADING
- We will ensure clear visibility through our supply chains so that we know where all our products are made.
- We will ensure that vendors uphold the workplace standards and behaviours consistent with the company’s requirements.
- Vendors will be worked with to help us achieve our policy aspirations in the delivery of our products and services.
- We shall encourage vendors to adopt responsible business policies and practices for mutual benefits.
- Vendors are regarded as partners and we will work with them to help us achieve our policy aspirations in the delivery of our products and services.
- We are committed to ensuring the welfare of workers and labour conditions and meet or exceed recognized standards.
- Where necessary, we will exert procurement pressure to ensure that all our vendors behave in a socially responsible way. This includes environmentally-friendly products and making sure that workers are treated properly.
- We will continue to work with vendors to:
- Promote more environmentally friendly products and promote these to our customers. ` Reduce the amount of packaging and transit where possible. ` Implement schemes to take back, recover, re-use and recycle products at the end of their life.